OK, there’s a universal truism — Angelina Jolie has the best lips on this planet, and probably on Mars, too. The rest of us…not so much. Whether it’s due to the volume loss that comes with aging, or because of simple genetics, many of us have thin, shapeless lips. Or, if we do have round lips they may lack symmetry from side to side.
In the aesthetic world, lip augmentation is nothing new. In the past, people have used collagen and fat injections. Silicone implants are still placed, as well. But increasingly it’s dermal fillers that are the augmentation method of choice. Compared with collagen and fat, dermal fillers are safer and provide longer-lasting results. At Elite Plastic Surgery, we use hyaluronic acid fillers for lip augmentation.
Hyaluronic acid for the lips
If you’re reading this Elite blog, you’ve probably heard of hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body that is responsible for hydrating and “plumping” the skin. Hyaluronic acid binds with water molecules to do this. That’s what makes these fillers perfect for the lips, as that hydration naturally plumps the lips.
We use primarily Juvederm Ultra XC for providing more volume to the lips. A newer offering, Juvederm Volbella XC, is also designed for the lips and provides additional volume but in a more subtle way. Restylane Silk is also a popular choice for lip augmentation. There are other hyaluronic acid filler options: Belotero Balance, HylaForm, Elevess, Prevelle Silk, and Captique.
Why is hyaluronic acid so good for lip augmentation?
We use hyaluronic acids fillers to add shape, structure, and volume to the lips. These are the benefits of these fillers:
- Gradual increase— So that the results don’t overwhelm, patients often opt to have very gradual increases made over a series of appointments, rather than a large increase in a single visit.
- Control over volume— The amount of filler being injected can be precisely controlled to manage the increased volume.
- Bumps dissolve— Because hyaluronic acid can be dissipated with an injection of an enzyme, bumps and lumps can be easily removed.
- Half-year results— Most hyaluronic acid filler results last for around six months.
- Less swelling and bruising— These fillers are gentler on the patient.
- Unlikely allergic reactions— Because hyaluronic acid naturally occurs in the human body, these fillers very rarely cause any sort of allergic reaction.