Dermal fillers are true to their name — they fill in wrinkles and areas of decreased volume. This is completely different than Botox® (and other neuromodulator brands), which relax the muscles that cause wrinkles to form on the skin above them.
Restylane® is known as the original dermal filler, approved by the FDA for use in the U.S. in 2006. Since that day, Restylane® has been, along with Juvederm®, one of the world’s most popular dermal fillers.
Is Restylane a Natural Filler?
Dermal fillers are classified as “natural” or “synthetic.” Restylane is a natural filler because it is made primarily from hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the human body whose job is to hydrate, plump, and firm the skin. It does this by bonding with nearby water molecules.
Originally, Restylane® was a single filler. Over the years, an entire family of Restylane® fillers has been developed, each targeted to a specific area of the face. At Elite Plastic Surgery, we offer and have received extensive training in the use of the entire Restylane® line.
These are the Restylane products we offer and their target areas
At Elite Plastic Surgery, we carry the complete Restylane® line. Each filler is intended for a different area of the face. Here are the descriptions of each Restylane product, along with their duration.
- Restylane® — This was the flagship product, the first dermal filler. It remains very popular around the world. It targets marionette lines, nasolabial folds, and other wrinkles by adding volume beneath the wrinkle or crease and pushing the surface skin upward. Its results last from 6-9 months.
- Restylane® Silk — Restylane® Silk is FDA approved specifically for the lips. It is used for subtle lip enhancement and for the correction of vertical lip lines. It provides results for around six months.
- Restylane® Lyft — Restylane® Lyft adds volume to the cheeks and corrects smile lines. Results last from one year to 18 months.
- Restylane® Refyne —Restylane® Refyne was approved by the FDA in December 2016. This new addition to the Restylane® line (along with Defyne, see below) is used to correct smile (marionette) lines and nasolabial folds. Refyne is specifically formulated to treat mild to moderate lines and wrinkles. Galderma has cross-linked the gel in Restylane® Refyne and Defyne to help support the patient’s natural expressions — for real-life results that help maintain natural movement when smiling, frowning, or otherwise moving your mouth.
- Restylane® Defyne — Approved along with Refyne, Defyne also specifically targets nasolabial folds and marionette lines. The difference is that Defyne is designed for use on moderate to severe creases and lines. Both Refyne and Defyne provide results that last up to one year.
Are Restylane injections painful?
Everyone has a different pain threshold. We inject Restylane® with a very tiny needle that many patients equate to the feeling of a pinprick. In the lips, however, this can be more painful due to the sensitivity of the lips. We can ice the area or apply topical numbing anesthetic, if you desire.
What are the side effects with Restylane fillers?
Because Restylane® is made primarily with hyaluronic acid (which occurs naturally in the human body), allergic reactions are almost unheard of. The common side effects with all dermal fillers are swelling, redness, pain, bruising, tenderness, and itching at the injection sites after your session. Some patients have been known to develop headaches for the first day or two, but this is rare. These side effects are typically mild, but may last for up to a week when treating smile and marionette lines. On the lips, they may last 10-14 days.
Occasionally, lumps will form at the injection sites. This is rare, but if it happens they can be quickly resolved by an injection of hyaluronidase. This is an enzyme that instantly degrades the hyaluronic acid, eliminating the lump.
Recovery After Restylane Filler
There isn’t any downtime with any Restylane® filler so you can be back to work and normal life immediately after treatment.
Schedule a Consultation
What’s most important with the use of dermal fillers or Botox® is the experience of the injector. The team at Elite has extensive training with all of these injectables, so you can be sure you’ll get the results you’re seeking.
At Elite Plastic Surgery we will provide you with guidance in selecting the best filler for your needs. Our staff are experts at helping you achieve your goals while maintaining a natural overall appearance. Schedule a consultation today to find out which Restylane product is best for you.